Happy June 23rd. Thanks so much for all your emails and letters. They
mean the world!
Disclaimer: I feel like my letters have gotten increasingly repetitive
the longer I have been in the field. I suppose that also comes with
spending six months in each of my areas. But that doesn't mean every
day is not exciting. Because it is.
Anyway, this week was mostly spent in Niigata because of zone
conference and 2 district conferences. I guess I will start with the
most exciting news. Niigata has a new district presidency, and Sado
has a new branch presidency. Whoo! Some branches in the district have
been combined into one and elders are serving as the leaders over some
of the "groups." Niigata's bracing for some amazing growth.
Zone conferences are my favorite. There is nothing I love more than
being with other missionaries (especially being up north for so
long--it's a little isolated). The thing that stood out most to me:
the need for diligence. I suppose it could have been taking in a sort
of demeaning way. "We're not working hard enough. Let's work harder."
Profound quote of the day: "Don't just be positive about a negative
situation. Turn a negative situation into a positive one."
Since we were in Niigata for so long, we went on exchanges with the
Niigata sisters. Sister Jones and I went to teach a kids English class
at one of the members' homes. After the class she sat all the moms
down and had them ask us questions (aka about the church). A true
member missionary. Her daughter later told us that her mother
introduced a friend to the church. When her daughter asked how they
met, her mother said she met her at the bookstore and then invited her
to church. This lady just went streeting in her spare time.
While handing out eikaiwa fliers in Niigata, I met an American who
attended MIT, works in Hong Kong, had a meeting in Tokyo and came to
Niigata for the day on a whim, and asked me if I knew any LDS
wrestlers from America while clutching a can of beer. (I'm not sure
why he asked that. Unfortunately I'm ignorant on the wrestling
circuit.) It was a strange conversation. He said he'd had so many
run-ins with Mormon missionaries in the most unexpected places. It was
fascinating, seeing how this man had found himself in the most random
corner of the universe and wasn't necessarily seeking God, but God had
found him. He said he'd read the English pamphlet I gave him and I
invited him to go to the massive chapel in Hong Kong when he returned
home.
It's a small world.
On a side note, can you believe it's almost July? I can't. Also, I
made the yummiest salad the other day--sauté tofu in soy sauce with
garlic and ginger, pile on lettuce and avocado and sesame dressing.
HEAVEN.
LOVE,
Sister Margaret Willden
(Monday, June 23)
Pic 1: Us, and the nicely striped carpet of the ferry.
Pic 2: After the District Conference, with the Niigata sisters and our
friend used to serve in this mission.
Pic 3: Flowers from my grandparents! We saw Mamako and Papako this
morning and received some some fresh flowers, Russian food, and
vegetables from the garden. We are the luckiest sister missionaries
alive.



No comments:
Post a Comment